Whole 30 Week 1 – What I Ate
Today is technically Day 9 of my Whole30 January reset… and I’m actually feeling really great. I haven’t really had any of the sugar withdrawals or anything like I’ve read about.
I woke up this morning with so much energy and my clothes are already fitting a lot better. The ‘rules’ of Whole30 state that you can’t weigh yourself til the end, so I’m not sure if I actually have lost anything or not… but here’s what I do know. I had a pair of jeans that have barely fit me for a few months now. If I put them on, I had to really suck it in to get them to button and then I felt like a busted can of biscuits… so I never wore them anymore (also titled ‘leggings are life’). But 2 days ago (on Day 7, just one week in) – those very same jeans actually fit me comfortably. So yeah, I can definitely tell a difference which just gives me more willpower to keep going. I am determined to lose that 20 pounds I’ve put on in the last 2.5 years since my hubby went to Heaven.
Soooo, you wanna know what I’ve been munching on – right? Here’s what I’ve been eating.
First off, their is coffee. Prior to this, I’ve always drank my coffee with plenty of sugar & cream so there has definitely been an adjustment in this department to say the least. The the first few days, I was using coconut milk (the kind in the can). I’d heat it up in my microwave, then froth it with my French whisk, & add it to my coffee. It was pretty good this way, but let’s just say that my stomach doesn’t seem to be very good friends with coconut milk sooooo…. I decided to NutPods. I got the French Vanilla flavor from Amazon and I must say that I love them! I heat up 1/4 cup of it in the microwave, froth it with my French whisk, pour it into hot coffee & then sprinkle a little cinnamon on top… SO GOOD! I’ll likely still drink them after my Whole30 is over.
- Breakfast – Eggs & Onions with Frank’s Red Hot sauce & fresh fruit
- Lunch – Sirloin steak, Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice, Salad with extra virgin olive oil & lime juice
- Dinner – See the little X on that plate? Yeah, so I cheated the very first day in. I had black eye peas on New Year’s Day. <gasp> I thought about skipping them, but then again – I didn’t want to chance a whole year of having bad luck, bad health, & no money because I didn’t eat my black eye peas & collard greens… so I ate me some black eye peas on New Years. I might eat one extra Whole30 meal to make up for it, or do an additional day… I dunno. We’ll see how I’m feeling on day 30! haha Anyhows, I also had a piece of a baked Pork rack, some roasted potatoes, & turnip greens.
- Breakfast– A big bowl of fresh fruit (blackberries, kiwi, & strawberries) w/ almonds & pistachios. I’ve found I really love using my soup & cracker mug for making fruit/nut bowls, veggie/guac snacks, fresh fruit/almond butter, etc. The two compartments are perfect portion sizes.
- Lunch– Cilantro Ranch Steak Salad – I used sliced leftover steak from the night before & layed it over an organic lettuce blend. I dressed it with Tessemae’s All Natural Habanero Ranch (which isn’t really spicy at all, but the flavor is pretty good) & garnished with lime, avocado, tomato, & a pickled jalapeño from my summer garden.
- Dinner– Baked Lemon Chicken, green beans, & leftover potatoes from the night before
- Breakfast– Scrambled Eggs & fresh fruit
- Lunch– Leftover Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice, Leftover Lemon Chicken, & roasted butternut squash.
- Dinner– Pork Fried Cauliflower Rice (oh my word, this is SOOOO good!!)
- Breakfast– This morning was SO crazy so I had a Chocolate Sea Salt RXBar on the go. They are actually pretty yummy! When I need a quick on-the-go snack or an ’emergency meal’, they’re my go-to so far.
- Lunch– Leftover Pork Fried Cauliflower Rice
- Dinner– Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Breakfast– Another crazy morning! Fresh fruit, almonds, & a RXBar
- Lunch – Bell Pepper Tacos – probably my FAVORITE Whole30 meal so far!!
- Dinner– Roast Pork with Onion Gravy (I just kinda made it up.. roasted a pork loin in the oven with 2 onions cut in quarters, 2 limes cut in half & juiced over the pork, & tons of garlic. Sprinkled pork with garlic powder, salt, pepper, & Ring of Fire seasoning. Baked in a dutch oven at 350 til tender. Removed the pork & limes… and brought the broth in the pan up to a boil on the stovetop kinda mushed the roasted onions up with a spatula a little, then served that over the sliced pork). I also had green beans & cauliflower rice with mushrooms & garlic.
- Breakfast- Scrambled eggs with onions & mushrooms, homemade sausage that I didn’t really care for but I ate it anyway with hot sauce, & fresh fruit.
- Lunch– Jalapeño Burger – oh my word!! This was SO AMAZING! I made a bun out of sliced eggplant and I can’t believe I’m actually saying this, but it was delicious! I used Primal Kitchen’s Chipotle Mayo on it… yum!
- Dinner– the rest of the Pork Fried Rice with some fresh peppers & guacamole on the side.
- Breakfast- On the go again (I know, I know…) My daughters were singing (and my oldest also playing ukulele) in the praise band at church, along with their grandpa… so this morning was pretty busy. So, I grabbed an RXbar & some lemon water in my favorite cup to eat on the way to early service at the church.
- Lunch– A quick throw together salad – Organic salad blend topped with leftover chicken, toasted pecans, sliced cucumbers, sliced tomato, & Primal Kitchen Greek Dressing (next time I’d pick a different dressing, wasn’t really a fan of this particular one)
- Dinner– Leftover Bell Pepper Tacos
And I did eat a couple more of those RXBars for snacks in between a couple meals here and there (the chocolate sea salt is super good!) – and I know they say you’re supposed to only use those as ’emergency meals’ even though all the ingredients are Whole30 approved. But what can I say other than oops. 😉
Are you doing Whole30 right now? What are your meals looking like?
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for your support to help keep this site running!