Whole30 Copycat PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps
I absolutely love the lettuce wraps at PF Chang’s. So much in fact that I already have a recipe for them on the blog.
Well, if I already have a recipe for a copycat version of PF Chang’s lettuce wraps here on the Mrs, then why on earth am I sharing another one?
Well, you see – I’m currently doing a Whole30 reset (for health reasons, not for weight loss – although I have done it for weight loss a year ago, you can check that post out here) and some of the ingredients just aren’t compliant. The oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, & chili sauce all have some no-no ingredients such as sugar and gluten… so it’s currently out for me.
Since I couldn’t have it and I really wanted some – I went on a quest to create a version that I could eat and that I enjoyed just as much as my regular recipe. Regardless of Whole30, if I’m going to eat – I’m going to enjoy it. It’s an experience that should be enjoyed, and I do love to eat! No reason that food that’s good for you (and doesn’t have sugar!) can’t be just as enjoyable as those foods that aren’t so good for you.
I used a few recipes online for some inspiration… none were quite the right recipe. So, I made plenty of notes & went to work in my kitchen creating my own version that I just love so much. I hope that you all like it too.
I think that you’ll agree, this Whole30|Paleo friendly recipe is just as delicious as my regular recipe for lettuce wraps. It’s super quick & easy to throw together too.
If you’ve never used coconut aminos before, don’t be scared of them – I promise you that they do not taste like coconuts at all! In fact, they taste just like a light soy sauce. You may need to use a little more of it than you would of soy sauce… but you will notice a huge similarity in the two.
The leftover ground chicken is delicious reheated as well, which is always a plus when you’re doing a Whole30 reset. It’s nice to be able to eat twice (or more!) from the same meal & saves so much time later on.
The leftovers are also super delicious on top of zucchini noodles. I totally found this out by accident while scavenging the fridge, looking for a meal to put together. I had some zoodles in there too so I combined the two and was pretty impressed by the results.
You can find more delicious Whole30|Paleo|Keto recipes here on Mrs Happy Homemaker by clicking here.
Whole30 Copycat PF Chang's Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 cup mushroom diced (I like baby Bella)
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon Whole3o compliant hot sauce like Frank's
- 8 ounce can water chestnuts drained
- 4 green onions diced - plus more for garnishing
- 1 head Bibb or Butter lettuce leaves gently removed from the stem
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, heat olive oil. Sauce the onion and cook for about 3 minutes then add the mushrooms and cook an additional 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add ground the ground chicken and cook until browned, making sure to break up any large chunks.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut aminos, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and hot sauce. Whisk until smooth then pour over meat mixture. Stir until combined. Add the chestnuts and green onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes then remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make sauce: whisk together all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of the meat mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf and serve with the sauce. Garnish with green onions, if desired.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for your support to help keep this site running!