Spicy Pop Pulled Pork Sandwiches w/ Cilantro-Jalapeno Slaw
Author: Mrs Happy Homemaker
- 1 whole pork butt (pork shoulder)
- 1 whole onion, peeled & quartered
- salt and pepper
- 2 cans Dr. Pepper soda
- 11oz can of Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
- 12 whole good quality Kaiser or Deli rolls
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1 16oz package shredded coleslaw mix
- 2 whole jalapenos, seeded & minced
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- For the meat:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Generously salt & pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in your covered roaster.
- Pour the can of chipotle peppers over the pork (include the sauce). Pour in both cans of Dr. Pepper. Add brown sugar to the liquid & stir in.
- Place lid tightly on pot, then set pot in the oven. Cook for at least 6 hours, turning roast 2-3 times during the cooking process. Check meat after six hours; it should be falling apart. Use 2 forks to test. If it doesn't fall apart, return to the oven for an additional hour.
- Remove meat from the pot, and place on a cutting board of other work surface. Use 2 forks to shred meat, discarding large pieces of fat. Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can & discard it. Return the shredded meat to the cooking liquid, and keep warm until ready to serve.
- For the slaw:
- Combine the coleslaw mix & sliced jalapenos in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix mix, milk, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, & cayenne pepper. Pour over coleslaw mix. Toss to combine. Cover & refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Before serving, toss in cilantro leaves.
- For the sandwiches:
- Butter both halves of your rolls, then brown them on a griddle or skillet until golden and crisp on the surface. Load up each sandwich with shredded pork, & then REALLY load them up with the slaw.