Better than Red Lobster Biscuits – Cheddar Garlic Buttermilk Biscuits
These Cheddar Garlic Buttermilk Biscuits are a spin on my Mama’s famous biscuits and they are WAY better than Red Lobster biscuits!
A lot of you have made, and have raved, about my Mama’s Buttermilk Biscuits. If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life – those would be my picking. Seriously.
Mama’s biscuits are the bees knees.
Let’s pretend for a moment that biscuits fell in love. Just go with me on this! If my Mama’s biscuits fell in love with a Red Lobster biscuit – this would be their love child.I have no other words to describe this. Just try them. Now.
Better than Red Lobster Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
- 2 cups self rising flour
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening like Crisco
- ¾ cup whole buttermilk
- 1.5 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder + 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.
- Using your fingers, work the shortening in with the flour in a large bowl until the flour appears crumbly, about the size of little peas. Stir in the buttermilk & shredded cheddar with a wooden spoon.
- Lightly dust your countertop with a little flour. Pat the dough down into a neat rectangle, no reason to do any kneading really. Using a pizza cutter, slice the biscuits into 8-10 squares. Place the biscuits into a greased cast iron pan or if you don’t have one, a round cake pan or any casserole dish will do, with the sides of the biscuits just touching.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter and stir in the tablespoon of garlic powder and garlic salt. Pour on top of the biscuits. Bake for 15 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Melt the rest of the butter. Add the teaspoon of garlic powder and stir. Brush the mixture on top of the biscuits once they come out of the oven.
- Inhale. Repeat.