How to Make a Bread Machine Recipe by Hand
A quick & simple guide to refer to when you want to make a bread machine recipe by hand. Easy bread maker conversion!
I do a lot of bread baking.
I really do adore my bread machine for a lot of my recipes. I love them so much that I have 2! However, I know not everyone has a bread machine in their kitchen and can get confused when trying to make a recipe intended for a bread machine by hand.
I wanted to create a quick guide of sorts to link to whenever I make a bread maker recipe so that those of you who want to make it by hand can easily do so without the intimidation. I hope this is helpful for y’all!
ADD INGREDIENTS TO THE MACHINE IN THE ORDER RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER
You can use your hands or a mixer – your choice!
1. Combine yeast, water & sugar in a bowl. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, until foamy.
2. Add the remaining ingredients. Add anything cold or hot last. Knead for 8-10 minutes.
CHOOSE SETTING FOR ‘DOUGH’
Follow steps 1 and 2 above.
CHOOSE SETTING FOR ‘WHITE BREAD.’
First, follow steps 1 and 2 listed above. Then:
3. Cover the dough with a tea towel and let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free place until it’s doubled in size – about 1 to 1 ½ hours.
4. Place the dough on a floured surface. Punch it down to release any air bubbles within and separate into your loaf(s).
5. Knead gently 4-6 times to help distribute the yeast and shape into loaf(s).
6. Place loaf(s) into greased pans and cover with a tea towel. Allow the dough to rise in a warm, draft-free place until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
7. Bake at 350F until the bottom of the loaf(s) sound hollow when tapped, 30-40 minutes.
CHOOSE SETTING FOR DOUGH AND FIRST RISE
Follow steps 1 through 3 above. Continue with the directions in the recipe.
CHOOSE SETTING FOR ‘WHEAT BREAD’
Wheat bread needs a tad more kneading & it takes a little longer to rise. This is from the bran in the wheat. In step 2, knead until the dough is smooth & elastic. In steps 3 and 6, watch for the size of the dough instead of the time listed. Just place it by ‘eye’.
CHOOSE SETTING FOR FRUIT/SEEDS
Fruits, nuts and seeds should be added near the end of the kneading process. Just add in any fruits/seeds/nuts you’re using in the last couple of kneads.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for your support to help keep this site running!