Mama’s German Chocolate Pie
My Mama’s German Chocolate Pie is my most favorite dessert in the entire world. I’m so excited to finally be sharing the recipe with you all.
It’s amazing, y’all!
Have you ever had a food that was so good – you couldn’t stop thinking about it no matter what you did? A food so delicious that just the near mention of it sent you into salivation land?
Mama’s German Chocolate Pie is that food.
Mama has made this for many years now and it is by far my favorite single dessert in the entire world. Even more than my favorite chocolate cake, pecan pie brownies, and cream brûlée – and that’s saying a lot.
When I was a kid, Mama would make this pie and only let me have small pieces after dinner. Well, when she would get in the shower – I’d grab a butter knife and ever so gently and as evenly as humanly possible, I sliced a very thin piece from one of the sides of the empty pie slices. Or from both sides if I was feeling adventurous. 😉
I thought I was being so clever and that Mama didn’t notice…
Well, I wasn’t being that clever and Mama did notice.
A couple months ago, Mama made me one of these pies for my birthday and it was just as good as it was when I was a child. She wrote the recipe down for me too and I am so excited to be sharing it with y’all today!
Scroll down for the printable recipe card.
This is the BEST dessert ever. EVER. E-V-E-R. EVERRRRRRRRR.
I hope I made that clear enough 😉
Now, go make it, eat it – and realize that it’s now your most favorite dessert too.
Mama's German Chocolate Pie
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 eggs beaten
- 1 4oz Baker's German Chocolate Baking Bar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cans prepared coconut pecan frosting
- 2 prepared pie crusts (9 inch) (we use refrigerated pie dough or frozen unbaked pie crusts)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Add butter and sugar; melt over hot water stirring often. Beat eggs and add the milk and cornstarch. Mix well and add to the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Pour the mixture to the unbaked prepared pie crusts. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool on the countertop on a wire rack for 20 minutes, then place the pie in the fridge to cool completely.
- Once chilled, spread on the coconut pecan frosting and serve.