The Masters’ Pimento Cheese
The Masters’ Pimento Cheese Sandwich is an iconic sandwich made famous by this iconic golf tournament. While tickets to this prestigious event might be hard to come by, you can make their famous sandwich at home, and it’s so good! Creamy, light, and packed with flavor, this Southern staple is a must-try!
Known for great golf and tasty concession food, making their tasty eats at home is quick and easy, and this tasty pimento cheese sandwich recipe is no exception!
Using everyday ingredients, a few spices, and plain old white bread, you can make a great sandwich that everyone will talk about. Turn on the TV and tune into some golf, and it’ll be like you’re at The Masters Golf Tournament in person (OK, not really, but you can pretend!)
Called the caviar of the South, pimento cheese is delicious, easy, and affordable, and this filling makes the best Pimento Cheese Sandwich on the planet!
You don’t need anything fancy to make this humble but delicious sandwich!
- Sharp cheddar cheese – Sharp cheddar is my personal favorite for this sandwich.
- Monterey Jack cheese – Helps balance the flavor of the sharp cheddar.
- Cream cheese – At room temperature.
- Mayonnaise – Any kind will do.
- Diced pimentos – A 4-ounce jar, drained.
- Onion – Just a tablespoon, but grate it or finely chop it. Or, use a bit of onion powder.
- Garlic powder – Powder, not salt, or your sandwich will be too salty.
- Cayenne powder – Just a pinch to add a bit of heat.
- Salt and pepper
The Best Cheese for Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
This is a touchy subject for many, but in my opinion, a mix of sharp cheddar cheese (orange) and Monterey Jack adds the best flavor. The sharp cheddar gives it that tangy cheese flavor, while the creamy Jack cheese balances the filling and adds delicious creaminess.
You can use whatever cheeses you like, but if you want to make an authentic Masters’ Pimento Cheese Sandwich, you’ll need sharp orange cheddar and mild Monterey Jack.
Whatever you pick, make sure you shred it yourself. Pre-shredded cheeses are tossed with cellulose to keep the cheese from sticking together. This dry starch will add a grainy texture to your Southern pimento cheese filling, and it won’t be creamy and smooth. Shred your own for the best pimento cheese sandwich.
What are Pimentos?
Pimentos are a small, sweet Spanish red pepper; these are the peppers used to make paprika, Fresh pimentos are hard to come by, but the jarred version of already diced pimentos is sold in most stores, in the pickle aisle.
Jarred pimentos are seeded and diced pimentos packed in water with salt to preserve them. They retain their bright color and sweet flavor, and are the perfect pop of flavor and freshness for this easy cheese sandwich.
How To Make The Masters’ Pimento Cheese Sandwich
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight to let the flavors blend and for it to firm up.
- Spread the pimento cheese in a thick layer on white bread and enjoy!
Pimento cheese is terrific on sandwiches. You can pop them into a lunch box or just nibble on them at home for a quick and easy lunch. This Masters’ pimento cheese recipe is also fabulous on a sandwich platter or cut into pimento cheese tea sandwiches, but this cheese spread is good in other ways, too. Use your pimento cheese spread on:
- Crackers – Pimento cheese on crackers is a great snack or appetizer.
- Mac and cheese – It’s delish in mac and cheese!
- Burgers – Take your burger to new levels with a spoonful of pimento cheese on top!
- Grilled pimento cheese sandwich – Toasty and warm, a pimento grilled cheese sandwich is delish! This Grilled Cheese BBQ Sandwich with pimento cheese is amazing!
- This Baked Pasta Dish!
- And so much more!
Pimento cheese, the spread, will keep just fine in your fridge for up to a week. Keep it in an airtight container. It won’t freeze well because of the mayonnaise in it.
Prepared Pimento Cheese Sandwiches should be eaten immediately. They won’t keep for more than a few hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
White bread – hands down! Inexpensive white sandwich bread, you know, the kind that sticks to the roof of your mouth, is the best bread by far, for this sandwich. You can jazz it up with artisanal bread, but this Southern girl insists on pimento cheese on white bread.
This sandwich has 3 kinds of cheese, mayo, and some spices. The filling is gluten-free and vegetarian, and also low-carb!
Yes! The hardest part of this homemade pimento cheese is shredding the cheese!
The Masters’ Pimento Cheese
- 2 Cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Cup freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 Oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 4 Oz diced pimentos drained
- 1 Tbsp onion grated or very finely minced
- 1/4 Tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 Tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 1/4 Tsp pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until smooth. Refrigerate for a couple hours or overnight before serving.
I prefer to use a well drained can of Ro-Tel in place of the pimentos and seasonings.
Great with celery sticks too. Yum.
Thanks for the recipe!