Twice Baked Potatoes
These TWICE BAKED POTATOES are delicious as can be. Cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon, butter – I mean, of course they’re good! Go ahead and make a lot too because they freeze beautifully.
Twice Baked Potatoes are my absolute favorite way to eat potatoes – and this is my favorite way to make them. Well, ok – they tie with my Cheesy Ranch Potatoes actually! They are simply seasoned, but yet so delicious. sharp Cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon, green onions and obviously, plenty of ‘the good stuff’ – butter.
They are very easy to make, but they do take a bit of time. When I make twice baked potatoes, I make a lot of them at one time because they do take a bit of time – it’s nice to bust out a whole bunch of them at once to save time later. Especially when they happen to be one of your favorite foods. I could honestly make a meal of just these, I love them so much.
They are perfect for an appetizer, a side dish, main dish, parties, tailgating at the football game, binging on Netflix… they are just perfect. Period.
The leftovers are delicious reheated (both in the microwave & in the oven). They also freeze beautifully! I’ve vacuum sealed them & froze them for a few months (already cooked) with great success. Just make sure you leave out the green onion from the mix when you freeze it because they just don’t hold up well to being frozen.
When you freeze the potatoes – I do not recommend reheating them in the microwave. The texture is just not very good. After freezing them, thaw them in the fridge & then bake them uncovered at 400 degrees until hot & bubbly – about 20ish minutes.
This was also one of my late husband’s favorite dishes, so I’m adding it to the Michael’s Favorites category here on the blog, where I try to keep his most favorite of recipes organized to remember him by & for my kids to be able to hopefully go to one day to find them easily. Check it out because recipes & stories are one of those special things in life that keep people we love alive far after they are gone.
Twice Baked Potatoes
- 8 large baking potatoes scrubbed clean
- canola oil
- 10 slices bacon fried til crisp & diced
- 1/2 pound 2 sticks of butter, cut into slices
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt I like Lawry's
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 heaping cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub the outside of the potatoes with canola oil. Place the potatoes in a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Remove the potatoes from the oven & reduce the oven's heat to 300 degrees.
- Combine the butter, sour cream, 3/4 of the bacon, milk, seasoned salt, & pepper in a large bowl.
- While the potatoes are still warm, grip them with clean kitchen towel & slice in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, hollow out the potatoes. Repeat until all the potatoes have been hollowed out. Place the potato shells on a large baking sheet.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl with the sour cream mixture & combine using a potato masher. Stir in half of the cheddar cheese & 3/4 of the green onions to the mixture.
- Fill each potato with the mashed potato mixture, leaving a little room for the reserved cheddar cheese. Top with the shredded cheddar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted & the potatoes are hot. Sprinkle with the reserved bacon & green onions.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for your support to help keep this site running!