I’ve never had a carrot cake better than this one. It’s a ‘heritage recipe’ & is completely from scratch. Topped with cream cheese icing – this cake is absolutely divine!
Carrots are among my least favorite foods. I can tolerate them when they are seasoned well & slow cooked all day in a pot roast dinner – but I really don’t care for them in any other ‘dinner’ item. But, carrot cake is a whole different story. I love me some carrot cake! I’d like to think that since it has carrots in it, when I slice a big hunk of this – I’m eating my veggies! 😉
Today, I’m going to show you how I make carrot cake & hopefully inspire you to make one of your own. This recipe has been passed down for 3 generations & I’ve yet to have one better. It’s completely from scratch and oh-so-good.
Here’s how you make it!
You will need to shred up a few carrots – enough to make 3 cups.
Beat together 4 eggs, 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil, 2 cups sugar, & 2 tbsp vanilla extract.
Mix in 2 cups of self rising flour & 2 tbsp ground cinnamon.
Stir in the 3 cups of shredded carrots along with 1 cup of chopped pecans.
Pour your batter into a greased, 9″x13″ cake pan.
Cook in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Let cool for about 30 minutes to 1 hour before frosting.
When completely cooled, it’s time to frost it! For the icing, beat together 8oz softened cream cheese, 1 stick of softened butter, 4 cups of confectioners sugar, & 1 tbsp vanilla extract until smooth & creamy.
Frost your cake generously! There is no such thing as too much icing!! To finish off, sprinkle the top with a handful of chopped pecans.
- For the cake:
- 4 eggs
- 1¼ cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- For the icing:
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Chopped pecans to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and vanilla. Mix in flour and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool for 30 minutes to 1 hour – or until completely cooled.
- To Make Frosting- Mix together butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cake. Garnish with chopped pecans.